On the 18th of April 1940, a group of young Athens women formed a new garden club dedicated to preserving the ideals of the first garden club in the nation, the Ladies Garden Club. In addition to flower arranging and horticulture, the newly formed Junior Ladies Garden Club decided to focus on beautification and preservation of both community and national landscapes.
In December 1941, the club voted to suspend meeting and to devote their time to defense activities. Almost half the members followed war-bound husbands to distant places or took jobs. The other half of members focused their energy on growing Victory Gardens.